- 227g bittersweet chocolate squares
- 220g (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 100g (1/2 cup) sugar
- 15ml (1 tablespoon) TABASCO® brand Habanero Sauce
- 60g (4 tablespoons) unbleached plain flour
- 2.5g (1 teaspoon) ground nutmeg
- 1.25g (1/2 teaspoon) ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 45g (3 tablespoons) icing sugar, sifted for finishing
Jalapeño Pepper Garnish
- 8 red and green jalapeño peppers
- 237ml (1 cup) distilled vinegar
- 355ml (1 1/2 cups) water, divided
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- 2.5g (1 teaspoon) ground cardamom
- 200g (1 cup) sugar
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease 8 (4-ounce) ramekins (or a muffin tin).
Prepare lava cake: Chop chocolate squares and butter into small cubes; melt in a double boiler, stirring constantly until melted. Remove from the heat and set aside.
In a bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar.
Add TABASCO® Habanero Sauce to chocolate sauce mixture. Stir chocolate TABASCO® mixture into egg mixture; add flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and pinch of salt. Stir until blended; refrigerate.
Prepare jalapeño pepper garnish: Slice half of the jalapeño peppers with knife to make an opening, keeping pepper intact. Scrape out seeds and white seams; remove stem and slice into strips. Slice the remaining peppers into discs.
Run 800ml glass jar under hot water until warm. Place jalapeño pepper slices in jar. Boil vinegar and 118ml (1/2 cup) of water in medium saucepan; add cinnamon sticks, cloves and cardamom. Pour mixture over jalapeño peppers in jar and seal; set aside for 15 minutes.
Mix remaining 237ml (one cup) water and sugar in a pan; bring to slow boil. Dip each pickled jalapeño pepper slice in sugar water. Set aside.
Remove cake batter from refrigerator. Pour batter into ramekins or muffin tins, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 13-15 minutes (the top should be soft in the middle and cake-like on rim). Sprinkle the top with sifted confectioners sugar, top with jalapeño pepper slices and serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings.